Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Growing Up

Let's see... since I last participated in my own blog here we've put railings on the two staircases up to the front and back doors of the house, gone through a flea infestation, the wife has left a nice little post as organist/accompanist at a local church (there's a story, but no matter- she liked her post there...), and my eldest has become tank-mother to a fine, small community of Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches.  Nice.  Life is pretty good, even if I am still crawling around through dirty old houses for a living.

My kids are older, and it's a bit like being put 'on notice' that they are suddenly able to take charge of those little parts of their lives that you used to be needed to help with.  They're taller, more person-looking.  They say things that you don't have to lean over, metaphorically-speaking, to process.  You still have to pay for everything though, and there's a major crossroads that delineates between childhood and adult-hood, in a very material way.  Whatever their relationship to you, whatever the content of the intellectual, emotional or spiritual relationships that you experience with them, that right there is the 'line in the street' that makes some real decisions for you.  I'm not there yet, but I can see it like an intersection in the road 300 yards ahead... it's an interesting time.

Sometimes I wonder what they'll say about me when they're living their own lives, and I'm gone...

No comments:

Post a Comment